Clawing to escape the belly of the beast here in Hollywood. To commiserate, email my name assistantatlas at yahoo.

Wednesday, July 12, 2006

How'd You Learn So Much About New Media?: 5.13




QUESTION: How'd You Learn So Much About New Media?
Cuz I'm young and I'm black and my hat's pulled low? Do I look like a mind reader, sir? I don't know.

That was Jay-Z's answer (admittedly, to a different question). Here's mine. . . .

Hint: You're reading it. This blog is how I know so much about New Media. (Well, that and the extensive reading and research)

You see, when I started this blog more than fifteen months ago, I was unhappy, cynical, and, some have said, witty. But I was not tech-savvy. At least, not compared to now.

You see, today I made a Hollywood/coding joke. This suit, whom I'd thought was equally tech-savvy, was all: "So your team can handle basic HTML coding?" like he knew what he was talking about, and I was all: "Underscore blank, baby."

And he looked at me like I was insane. Then again, I also created a lyrical turn of phrase regarding finance today, so maybe I'm just bursting at the seams with creativity. (not kidding-- my officemate Amanda called it "a lyrical turn of phrase") And if you want to know what the lyrical turn of phrase was, let's just say that "hyperinflation" rhymes with a lot more than you think it might.

In the entertainment industry, people have to know a little bit about a lot of things. LA, this is why people call all of us shallow. Because you are. Unfortunately, New Media is one of those things you've gotta learn. Because if you leave it to the young, we will soon figure out how to eat you alive in this town.

Look in the future people. You must embrace "The Long Tail" because it just might save us all.

Or at least me.

Anyway, here's the dilly, yo.*

I keep nearly blowing my cover with this sh**zy--this blog.

It is NOT good. Even though I know you're all titillated. Voyeurs.

I keep referencing blogs, deploying basic web tech know-how, understanding how search engines operate on at least an anecdotal level. . .and stuff. Even this outside company's consulting web engineer guy was like: "I thought you had a computer science degree."

And the best I could come up with was: "Um, no. I'm twenty-five."

And it worked.

*FYI: This phrase is officially back in ironic fashion for the 21-29 set.

TECHNORATI TAGS: , , , ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Long live the Grey Album!

9:59 PM

 
Blogger Assistant Atlas said...

Chopped Nuts: Appreciation, depreciation, conflagration, deviation, inebriation, excess libation. Fine...it was a finance turn of phrase so I used 'price appreciation.' But I ran the gamut before deciding on that admittedly tame rhymer.

Danger Mouse: I'm a longtime fan of the Grey Album.

12:15 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home